visiting Stewart Island (this helps us to onsell tours to others to achieve minimum numbers to operate trips). Prior bookings are essential during our off-Season.
2. Please contact us directly for enquiries or bookings for our tours and services (whether in other parts of New Zealand or in Stewart Island. Our office is immediately opposite the Department of Conservation office in Stewart Island at 14 Main Road.
CURRENT SEASON / WEATHER
It's Spring in New Zealand. The weather is warming up. It is getting lighter after 6.30 am and dark after 9.30 pm. Always be prepared for four seasons in one day. Birds are getting more active and birdsong has increased since mid-August and is simply delightful to hear. Some orchids are in bud or in flower.
OFF-SEASON TOUR DEPARTURE TIMES
During the off-season, the flight and ferry run on their off-season timetables and this may not match our tour departure times.
We can alter our tour departure times to fit your travel arrangements - where possible, please contact us in advance of your travel so that we can advise you of options.
OFFICE OPENING TIMES
October (opening time have been amended from originally advertised times):
Monday to Sunday: 7.30 am to 7.30 pm
Please note: Sunday the office may close an hour earlier.
During NZ public holidays, the Office will be open.
TRIPS REQUIRING ADDITIONAL PARTICIPANTS: for the coming season....
Ulva Island Birds & Forest - Full Day Guided Walks
27th November 2014
11th December 2014
30th December 2014
12th February 2015
14th February 2015
16th or 17th February 2015
28th February 2015
3rd March 2015
13th March 2015
14th February 2015 (Valentine's Day)
16th or 17th February 2015
15th November 2015
8th January 2015
26th January 2015
13th February 2015
4th March 2015
3rd to 4th December 2014 (fly in / fly out )
20th to 21st December 2014 (fly in / hike out)
2nd to 3rd February 2014 (boat in / boat out)
Rakiura Great Walk - Three Days
3rd to 5th December 2014
12th to 14th January 2014
26th to 28th February 2015
SPECIALS FOR THIS MONTH & REST OF WINTER
Please see: Special Offers.
DAY TRIPS THIS MONTH
All key tours are operating subject to bookings and numbers. For full
details on all our tours and services, please see the menu above.
Ulva Island Birds & Forest or Ulva Island Birding Guided Walks are operating most days where there is a minimum of 2 persons.
Island Culture Scenic Road Tour is also operating most days where there are a minimum of 2 persons.
Coastal Highlights a cruise then a guided coastal walk on the Rakiura Track, available subject to bookings.
Pelagic Birding tour and various cruises in Paterson Inlet -
see Boat Cruises in the menu options above. These tours are dependent on minimum numbers and suitable weather and sea conditions.
Guided sea kayaking these tours are currently on hold as we try to recruit a sea kayak guide.
OVERNIGHT TRIPS THIS MONTH
Kiwi Journey, Kiwi, Dunes & Beach and Rakiura Great Walk ARE AVAILABLE, subject to bookings and minimum numbers. Please see Departure Dates.
Also note we are operating a one night tripto Port William or the North Am Hut on the Rakiura Great Walk - available on demand, subject to minimum numbers and staff availability.
Please see Photography Tours and also our new website specifically for photo tours and workshops www.rakiuraphototours.com
Winter Workshops & Photography Tours are currently being planned. Details will be posted soon.
PACKAGES INCLUDING TRAVEL / ACCOMMODATION / ACTIVITIES
See Day Packages and Overnight Packages.
We can put together a gift voucher for our tours and services. Please contact us for further information.
EVENTS THIS MONTH
There are no local events this month.
HOW TO MAKE BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES
For accurate and upto
date information about our comprehensive tours and services and any one-off and special tours - we advise you that:
- We only operate through our own Booking Office in Stewart Island. There are no independent
Visitor Centres, Visitor Information Centres and no independent Island Information
Centres in Stewart Island.
choose not to operate through the New Zealand
I-Site Network throughout New Zealand as it is not possible for them to know all the key facts about our business or for us to convey daily all our information so that we are represented effectively.
- Some accommodation providers in Stewart Island and elsewhere only work exclusively with a few operaters and not with all operators, irrespective of the quality of tours or value offered to you. If you need help finding independent accommodation options, please let us know.
1. Phone us 03 219 1066 or on our mobile 0274 784 433 or TEXT us on 0274 784 433 (if we our out guiding, please leave a message with your contact details and accommodation).
2. There is limited Telecom NZ & Vodafone mobile phone coverage in Oban Village, Stewart Island.
1. Send us an email: email@example.com. We aim to reply as soon as possible.
Visit our Office in Stewart Island
1. The office is open daily. We have a message box, if we are not in you can leave a message.