CURRENT SEASON / WEATHER
Thisis the Off-Season and visitor numbers are low. We advise you to make PRIOR
visiting Stewart Island (this helps us to onsell tours to other and where necessary achieve minimum numbers to operate trips).
We are operating as usual in May, but as it quietens down, we may use the opportunity to take a short break. The Office may be closed from mid-June to mid-July in order to carry out maintenance and to take a break. Please let us know if you are planning to visit during this time as our plans have not been finalised.
Now it is Autumn in New Zealand. Please be prepared for changeable weather. Our weather has cooled and days are getting shorter. At the moment, getting light after 7.15 am and dark at about 6.00 pm.
CURRENT OFFICE OPENING TIMES FOR MAY 2013
Monday to Saturday: 8.00 am to 4.30 pm.
Sunday: 9.00 am to 2.00 pm, but note we are available for pre-booked tours on Sunday afternoon.
If you are calling by phone, please note, some afternoons we are working outside on the office premises and will be carrying our mobile phone, but please try our landline first.
TRIPS REQUIRING ADDITIONAL PARTICIPANTS: MAY 2013
We have people interested in our Kiwi Journey, but need more participants:
9th to 10th or 10th 11th May 2013: Kiwi Journey
23rd May 2013: Coastal Highlights
SPECIALS FOR THIS MONTH
Please see: Special Offers.
DAY TRIPS IN MAY 2013
All key tours are operating subject to bookings and numbers. For full
details on all our tours and services, please see the menu above.
Ulva Island Birds & Forest or Ulva Island Birding Guided Walks are operating most days where there is a minimum of 2 persons.
Island Culture Scenic Road Tour is also operating most days where there are a minimum of 2 persons.
Coastal Highlights a cruise then a guided coastal walk on the Rakiura Track, available subject to bookings.
Pelagic Birding tour and various cruises in Paterson Inlet -
see Boat Cruises in the menu options above. These tours are dependent on minimum numbers and suitable weather and sea conditions.
Guided sea kayaking We are looking for a new kayak guide and until then, our kayak tours are on hold.
OVERNIGHT TRIPS IN MAY 2013
Kiwi Journey, Kiwi, Dunes & Beach and Rakiura Great Walk departure dates for the current season see: Guided Walks Departure Dates.
PACKAGES INCLUDING TRAVEL / ACCOMMODATION / ACTIVITIES
See Day Packages and Overnight Packages.
We can put together a gift voucher for our tours and services. Please contact us for further information.
EVENTS THIS MONTH
BLUFF OYSTER & FOOD FESTIVAL - 25th May 2013
Held in Bluff near the ferry terminal.
We will be operating tours and offering packages before and after the Bluff Oyster and Food Festival.
24th May 2013: Island Scenic Road Tours and Ulva Island guided walks avaialble.
26th May 2013: Island Scenic Road Tour 10.00 am to 11.30 am
26th May 2013: Ulva Island Birds & Forest Guided Walk 12.30 pm to 3.30 pm
Please contact us for further information.
HOW TO MAKE BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES
For accurate and upto
date information about our comprehensive tours and services and any one-off and special tours that we may have on offer- we advise you that:
- We only operate through our own Booking Office in Stewart Island, as there is no independent
Visitor Centre, no independent Visitor Information Centre and no independent Island Information
Centre in Stewart Island.
do not operate through the New Zealand
I-Site Network throughout New Zealand as it is not possible for them to know all the key facts about our business and represent us effectively.
- Some accommodation providers in Stewart Island and elsewhere only work exclusively with a few operaters and not with all operators, irrespective of the quality of tours or value offered to you. If you need help finding independent accommodation options, please let us know.
1. Phone us 03 219 1066 or on our mobile 0274 784 433 or TEXT us on 0274 784 433 (if we our out guiding, please leave a message with your contact details and accommodation).
2. There is limited Telecom NZ mobile phone coverage in Stewart Island (027 numbers or global roaming using Telecom NZ services). There is no reception for Vodofone (021 or global roaming using Vodafone) in Oban Village.
1. Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We aim to reply as soon as possible.
Visit our Office in Stewart Island
1. The office is open daily. We have a message box, if we are not in you can leave a message.